Techniques and Patent
- Powder metallurgy products can be used in industries such as automobiles, home appliances, hand tools, sewing machines, electronics, sports equipment etc.
- The powder material is iron-based, copper-based, copper-iron-based, and stainless steel-based.
- PM with porous characteristics, oil-containing bearings has a self-lubricating effect and can be used for a long time without oil injection.
- For those products with complex shapes and difficult machining, the cost can be reduced through the powder metal process.
- High production efficiency, suitable for mass production to reduce costs.
- The density of powder metal product can reach 5.8~7.2 g/cm3.
- Powder forging is a technique that combines the advantages of PM and forging.
- It has some great features, such as enhancing the density and strength of the products, decrease the loss of material and suitable for mass production.
- Currently powder forging products are widely used in automobile, mechanics, aeroplane and other industries.
- The density of powder forging product can reach 7.7~7.8 g/cm3.
Powder forging (PF)
density 7.8 g/cm3
Before PF(Obvious pores)
After PF(compact structure)
- Forging products are suitable for applications which require high strength and high impact force.
- Hot forging is done in the temperature higher than recrystallization temp of material.
- It can enhance the malleability and inner quality of the products.
High density PM (Powder Metallurgy)
- In order to meet the demand of lighter, smaller, stronger parts for applications in automobile, 3C and mechanics industries, we develop a high density PM solution.
- We are able to offer our service from material choice to tooling design to fulfill different requests from customers.
- Trinity continuously invests on new techniques and material. Currently the new metal powder we developed is successfully applied in different components that require high density. The density can achieve 7.4g/cm3~7.6 g/cm3( depends on the characteristics of the components).
MIM (Metal Injection Molding)
- MIM solution is now a popular solution in industries like automobile, mechanics, hardware, 3C…etc.
- It has great features, like suitable for mass production, high density and higher strength.
- When some parts can’t be done by traditional PM due to difficult shape or strength requirement, MIM can be a great solution.
- We have accumulated experience over 10 years in this field.
- MIM is getting more and more popular and used widely in different fields. Trinity cooperates with experts and professors in school, and has developed the new MIM material that could reach density of 7.7~7.8 g/cm3. The high density MIM components are successfully introduced automotive industry.
Metallography of Trinity MIM ---dense and uniform
Forming is one of the basic processes in powder metallurgy production. The purpose is to use molds and presses to make loose powder into semi-finished products or finished products with predetermined geometric shapes, sizes, density and strength.
The main equipment for forming is a mold and a press. The principle of mold design is to make full use of advantage of powder metallurgy with less cutting and no cutting to ensure that the three requirements of quality (ie geometric shape, dimensional accuracy, and uniformity of density) are met. Presses are divided into mechanical presses and hydraulic presses. The mechanical press is characterized by fast speed and high productivity; its disadvantage is that the pressure is small, the stamping is not stable enough, and the pressure is difficult to hold, and it is not suitable for pressing larger and longer products. Compared with mechanical presses, hydraulic presses are characterized by large pressure, long strokes, relatively stable, adjustable speed in one cycle and pressure retention, and are suitable for pressing larger and longer products; their disadvantages are slow speed and low productivity.
Mold Of Forming
It can be divided into upper punch, middle mold, lower punch and mandrel. The number of upper and lower punches is different according to the complexity of the parts. The mold may also need two upper punches and three lower punches, referred to as upper two and lower three. Generally, the outermost punch is called the upper punch or the next punch, the second layer is called the upper second punch or the lower second punch, and so on.
Sizing is that the sintered parts are pressed again by the mold to make the size of the parts more accurate. The general sizing type can be divided into residual sizing type and no-margin sizing type. In terms of the outer diameter of the part, the residual sizing is that the size of the sintered product is larger than the size of the mold. By pressing the part into the mold, the excess material is squeezed into the pores and it can make the thickness of the product is thinned and the length is increased. By this method, the surface of the machined parts is smooth. Regarding no-margin sizing type, the size of the sintered product is smaller than the size of the mold, the entire length of the part is pressed during the sizing, so that the part is squeezed toward the radial space to achieve the final size.